Thursday, November 26, 2009

The Big Update - We Have a Home!!


Finally I am able to provide an update on the progress. On Friday the 13th we did get the keys. The usual settlement dramas seemed to apply - with the lender not receiving our paperwork (sent via email and fax over 1 week prior), Henley advising that they would only check payment "once" and lots of phone calls to convince people to do what it took to make it happen. Thank God it did - stress was at a maximum! Since then, we have not been resting on our laurels. Despite 12 hour days waiting for tradies to complete the appliance commission (still not completed due to further issues), cleaning the filthy tiles that then "re-filthied" after the concrete was done (release agent!), painting feature walls and racing around for finishing and fittings, we are STILL not owner occupiers! The current hold up is the carpet :(.

I have uploaded lots of pics for the family and friends to get you up to speed. To read the post as a journey start at the bottom!

FINAL NOTES.....

Things haven't all gone awry in the last two weeks. My crazy black couches are now ready so I will arrange delivery tomorrow. Air cooling booked in for December 8 - Pre Christmas! Letter box and pillar for the driveway is ready for collection, and water feature will be collected as well. BBQ and outdoor dining selected - just need to collect these too. If the electrician gets a move on, we may even have our light fittings installed. So, looks like we are go for Christmas celebrations!!!

The carpet co arranged for installation of the underlay ahead of the carpet to speed things up a bit.
Below is the carpet we have now (re) chosen. We had a big drama with our carpets this week. They were scheduled for installation last Wednesday; however on Tuesday our carpet company called to say that when they attempted to cut and prepare the carpet for laying, it was clear they had the wrong carpet! We had chosen a Hycraft 80% wool blend - the problem is that it was a discontinued line and ours was basically the last of the stock. They had no idea where ours went. Tuesday was therefore completely consumed with running around trying to find a new carpet. I eventually decided upon a Windsor Wool (100%) in the colour ivory coast. A bit lighter than my original choice. Neutral tonings. Problem - only stock was in Sydney. The carpet co bent over backwards to arrange to have it shipped down by today so it could be installed today/tomorrow and we could move in over the weekend. The rep was at the Vic distribution centre with the installers at 6 am to receive it and ensure its safe arrival prior to installation. With our luck over the last couple of weeks it just seems logical....that the carpet wasn't on the truck. A stuff up between the suppliers and the manufacturers meant it was still sitting in the warehouse. So.....we now are expecting delivery Monday morning......will I ever get to move into my new house????
THE BIG HOLD UP!








A PLACE FOR EVERYTHING.....OCD HEAVEN!

The girls' bathroom with their new towels and various knick knacks we have acquired.

Target pic up close. (Don't cringe Chris!!)
Pre loved basin set. I just love this set it is very creamy and smooth with interesting embossing. "Hand made".

Our bathroom with bits and pieces starting to appear. Bought an accessory set from Bed Bath n Table last night and they are pretty nice against the Royal Albert.
The hall stand...in the hall of course.
Bought a pair of pre-loved Louis XV lounge chairs for the foyer, repro no doubt but they add a formal and eclectic touch and also are practical as we will use them for extra seating when guests come over.
Starting putting in all the bits that go on the tiles and trying to put together the decor. As in previous posts, we have gathered an assortment of different coloured timber pieces over the years and during different phases of our lives. To me they have memories and character, they just need the right bits and bobs to tie them together. I also have a tendency to fall in love with old things (Dave can verify this :)!!) and collect them even if they are a bit odd. Everything comes up trumps with a bit of TLC if you ask me. These are the foyer pieces. I still need that special piece for the centre of the credenza. At the moment I have a tacky little Christmas tree now sitting there. My son did not agree when I said I thought is was cute! No pics though!
THE "FUN" BEGINS


The fireplace is commissioned too! We had to burn it for a couple of hours to begin. Lucky the weather wasn't too warm that day. Looked pretty!! My mum finished the picture and I think it is fantastic. I can honestly say that photos do not do justice to the lovely colours. Thanks Mum - we are very happy and grateful.
The sad fridge that sat for about two years waiting for a home. Very funny that it looked so huge in our old family room and so small in the new kitchen. Dave and I will finish off the cabinetry around it (I hate big gaps). An over head cupboard and a vertical wine rack I think.
The appliances are in but not without issues. The ducted heating is not operational - problem with the unit and not enough power points installed. Also, the trim kit on the microwave does not fit. We also had the alarm system installed but are waiting for a replacement sensor for a faulty one and the finishing off of the data cabling. Currently waiting for the site supervisor to sort out the microwave and power points and the supplier to fix the heating. Nothing ever runs smoothly....does it??
APPLIANCES COMMISSIONING


View of the driveway from the upstairs window. Can't be used for about 7 days.
The concrete style up close. Pattern is a relatively flat and smooth one in common use called "Walkway".

The concrete paths go all around the house with wider sections off the alfresco and at the site of the future wall mounted clothes line. Love the fact that I won't be traipsing dirt into the house for months, as we did last time we built. We will install retaining walls down the side of the house and in the front, to create two tiers against the concrete.
The miracle action of the sealing product. Release agent is now the lovely warm brazil nut on a sandstone base. The concreters apply two quick sprayed layers of sealer. Dave and I both agreed it needed a third to protect some areas where the recent stormy weather had thinned out the colour layers a bit. Dave subsequently put on another good layer and I am very happy.
Above pic is after the clean off of the realease agent. Still purple guys.
Pics show the release agent sitting on the concrete. Needed to be left for a couple of days before cleaning. As you may be able to see - it is purple!! Neighbours probably got a bit of a fright about this colour choice.
I have never had slate impression concrete installed before and had no idea about the effects of the release agent! What a mess. If I had known I would have placed plastic protection all around. As it is I have cleaned up all of the inside areas, doors and windows and they are OK, but the render is affected. Dave will hire a karcher to clean what he can, but I was advised to paint the cream trim to bring it back up to scratch by our Henley contact. I have taken his advice and will do this (thanks Daniel).
CONCRETE DRIVEWAYS AND PATHS!


Our "boudoir" above. Print was purchased from Target on special this week! I think its lovely and goes really well with our new linen. Used Rolling Pebble again on the wall and I am very happy combination of wall and print.
All the other walls are low sheen paints. This wall above is the only wall painted in an effect. This is Dulux pearlustre paint. It is lovely to apply but an effects technique is essential. Oldest daughter is the arty type so this suited her style. You cannot get the full effect in a photo, but this wall is a lovely pearly soft green/blue. I showed her how to do the cross hatch technique usually reserved for suede effects and she got the hang of it quickly. I think it looks great and she is proud of the outcome.
The "baby" of the house wanted pink (of course). Goes very nicely with her shabby chic items I collected and renovated over the months. Perfect Pink (Dulux)...what else?
Above 3 pics are the kids bedrooms. I had them each do their own painting after I cut in - I wanted them to be a part of the process and have some ownership of their own environments. Grown up son's wall matches the feature tile in his ensuite. Grainfields (Dulux).

Below, formal lounge feature wall. Effect will not be achieved until the other decor is completed. I painted the family room feature wall the same colour to tie the decor components of both ends of the house together. The actual style in each room will be quite different reflecting the formal and informal uses. Swamp Fox (Dulux)

Above and below, finished foyer. All walls painted as the room itself is a feature. I think it highlights the effect we were trying to achieve with the travertine style tiles. Rolling Pebble (British Paints).
Couldn't wait to get in and start the feature walls I have been planning for 12 months! I got in the night we took possession and starting painting. All were finished that weekend except our bedroom as I had not decided what colour to do. That is now sorted and painted too. I figure we saved at least $250-350 per wall doing it ourselves instead of through the builder! 11 Walls were completed..so not too bad. First wall, first cut below. (Mad woman in action)
FEATURE WALLS!


Pics of the girls' completed furnishings. Above are the completed cushions and quilts with the lovely cream bedspreads I bought from Bed Bath n Table. Below is the padded bedhead lined up with the new cushions from Freedom. Couches are ready and I am going to pay and arrange delivery this weekend.
COMPLETED PROJECTS!


Took some pics of the house and the entry to the estate in which we built. Some people may recognise it!
HOME FINISHED!


Big disappointment...this alfresco pillar (above) was pulled down and rebuilt twice - not aligned properly apparently.

The front doors and bifolds did need a bit of work however and these were eventually sorted.

A few defects that have been satisfactorily sorted prior to handover, smudges, marks and paint spots. To be quite honest I could not have cared less about these minor things - I just wanted my house!!
DEFECTS!

1 comment:

  1. Great work, floor and wall color are perfectly matched, its good to be a house like this in Fla. Clearwater Fla Real Estate.

    ReplyDelete