Sunday, August 2, 2009

Gathering....

My parents returned from the UK this week after 9 weeks away and spent some time with us this weekend, along with my sister and her family. Last week I bought some second hand items and collected them on Saturday - my Dad helped hubby lift and carry (thanks, Dad). I love to give pre-loved things a new lease of life so when my parents left us today to return home to Gippsland, I raced out to Bunnings and Spotlight to buy some bits and pieces to restore the French balloon back chair I bought for my youngest daughter's bedroom. She helped her mum select some upholstery fabric and when we enquired "how much?" the assistant told us $2 per metre because it is a discontinued line - we bought the roll!!

When we got home, my daughter and I ripped the old fabric off the chair and madly started sanding the timber back. We have finished the first coat of a soft white paint and are currently waiting the two hours until we can apply the second. Tomorrow we will apply the clear coat and hopefully on Tuesday cover it with the new fabric. Nice bit of fun!

I took some snaps of some of the bits and pieces we have gathered- over the years and lately- that I will hopefully put together to make our new house a home.

It has really been a lovely weekend with spending some time with family and putting together the ideas for our home. My Mum and I also went out to have a coffee at a local cafe with the kids before she left. I have not been able to have such a pleasant weekend for months because I have just been so very busy at work - makes me really appreciate the simple things. I also must start to focus on my studies again as I need to finish my Masters degree next year (still have four more subjects!) so I really need to get things sorted with the house before too much longer.


The fabric we bought - there are peachy tones that have not been picked up by the camera. We bought 20 metres for $40!!!. (Franni, if you would like some just call!!)


Ballon back chair (before) with what will be a matching wicker storage and linen, sitting in front of light fittings and bedding.


After first coat of fresh paint.

The hall stand we bought last year when we had plans to build the federation style house. I still really like this and think we can make it work in the new house. I bought the flowers because my Mum and Dad were coming to stay. The mauve ones are kale - interesting plants!

No comments:

Post a Comment